Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mission Statement

My name is Stephanie and I am a recent graduate of the University of Dallas, with a BA in Comparative Literature and a BA in German. Currently, I am a lay missionary with VIDES+USA. VIDES stands for Volunteers in Development, Education, Solidarity, and is affiliated with the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians (also known as the Salesian Sisters), a Roman Catholic religious order dedicated to serving youth. From August 2011 to May 2012 I will be working with the youth of Munich, Germany.

In this blog, I hope to share my faith journey as a missionary, in particular as a missionary to the developed worlds of the US and Europe. I first created this blog on the feast of St. Benedict, patron of Europe, and today is the feast of St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein), also a patroness of Europe. I ask these two, as well as St. Francis de Sales (patron of journalists and writers and namesake of the Salesians), to also be patrons of this blog, my humble little effort to share the fruits of my contemplation, as the Dominicans would say.

Part of evangelizing a people is evangelizing their culture. Despite the many negative things that can justifiably be said about contemporary culture, I'm convinced that you can find God in there somewhere, if you look with the right kind of eyes. I intend to look at our culture, particularly in its narrative, dramatic and lyric aspects (i.e. books, film and music), through these eyes of faith. I pray that you who read this will take away some food for thought that will strengthen your love for Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment